Best Boat Excursions
The absolute best way to experience Charleston is by water! Our local creeks and rivers are teeming with wildlife and adventure. At Castaway we provide fun for everyone, no matter your age, there is a boat excursion for you. If you want to watch bottlenose dolphins in their natural habitat then jump on our dolphin viewing excursion, if you’re looking to explore an uninhabited island and see the historic Morris Island Lighthouse up close then get on our “drop-off” lighthouse trip or fossil hunting trip. Each boat excursion is an eco-tour in itself which means that your experienced captain will tell you all about our local saltmarsh and the resident wildlife that inhabit it and may even provide you with some Charleston history! Come get out on the water with us!
*We ask that you arrive 15 minutes prior to your departure time for paperwork and for safety instruction
Dolphin Viewing Excursion
- Adult (Ages 13+): $45
- Child (Ages 6-12): $35
- Ages 5 and under: $20
An experience for the whole family
Join us out on the water for sunrise, sunset, or somewhere in between in a search for our favorite saltwater mammal – the bottlenosed dolphin. On this trip, we will cruise through our local tidal creeks to see how many of these amazing creatures we can spot. From a distance, you will get to experience the unique feeding techniques and socializing behaviors that our dolphins display out in the wild. Along the way, your experienced guide will teach you all about the natural wonders of our salt marsh. Every dolphin excursion is different – as we say, dolphins have a mind of their own!
Morris Island Lighthouse Drop-Off Excursion
- Adult (Ages 13+): $65
- Child (Ages 6-12); $45
- Ages 6-12: $20
Looking to explore an uninhabited island?
We offer boat trips to the infamous Morris Island near Folly Beach! On this excursion we will take you by boat to Morris and drop you off for approximately 1 hour. On the boat ride, you will get to learn about our local estuaries and see dolphins, pelicans, and much more in their natural habitat. On the island you can shell hunt, soak up the sun on the beach, take in the picturesque views of the historic lighthouse and explore the island for yourself. This trip will give you the ultimate Charleston experience.
Fossil Hunting Excursion
- Adult (Ages 13+): $80
- Child (Ages 6-12): $60
- Ages 5 and under: none – only adults and children 6 and older:)
3 – 4 Hours
Are you a fossil enthusiast or just searching for that one good find?
Hop aboard our fossil excursion to explore the uninhabited Morris Island in search of shark teeth, fossilized vertebrae, and much more. Charleston’s coastal beaches host a prime environment for finding shark teeth that are millions of years old! On this trip, not only will you enjoy a boat ride through the salt marsh seeing dolphins and birds, you will get close-up views of the historic Morris Island lighthouse. Be prepared to do several miles of walking once on the island to get to and from the “fossil spot.” This tour is an adventure on both water and land.
- If you cancel a guided excursion over 24 hours in advance, you will receive a complete refund.
- If you cancel a guided excursion within 24 hours of departure, you will be charged a 40% cancellation fee or a 15% reschedule fee.
- For large groups (8+ people), corporate groups, and school groups we have a 48 hour cancellation policy. If cancelled after 48 hours you will be subject to a 40% cancellation fee or a 15% rescheduling fee.
- If we have to cancel a tour because of inclement weather we will either offer you the chance to reschedule or give you a full refund.
Inclement Weather Policy:
Here at Castaway Island Excursions your safety and comfort are our highest priorities! If we need to cancel your paddle or boat excursion due to inclement weather, we will contact you ONE (or more) HOURS prior to your scheduled departure time and do our best to reschedule you. If there is threat of a thunderstorm, lightning, high winds or other severe weather, we will not put you on the water.
- Please bring sunscreen, bug repellent (mosquitos and gnats are Charleston locals too), sun glasses, hat/visor, and a snack or lunch if on a longer adventure, drinking water, and a phone/camera to capture all of the exciting things you will see!
- If going onto Morris Island make sure you wear shoes that can get wet/sandy and if you are going on the fossil excursion please wear proper attire for walking several miles.
- Larger groups please carpool if possible
**sunscreen, reusable water bottles, hats and solar shirts can all be purchased in our Castaway office