Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
What if we are beginners?
Not a problem at all! We are equipped to help and teach individuals of all ages and experience levels. Our kayaks and paddleboards are also built to be very sturdy and durable to withstand any condition and be adaptable for all. For beginners, we do recommend taking a tour so that our experienced guys can assist and teach you the basic paddling techniques.
What types of weather conditions do we still go out in?
Our guides are very experienced for all weather conditions and will make the call whether or not it is safe to go out on the water. Light rain is fine, but if there are high winds or lightning we will not go out on the water because these conditions are unsafe.
Is there a discounted for children?
Children ages 6-12 receive a discounted price on guided tours but must be in a double kayak with an adult.
What times of the day will we see the most wildlife?
No time of the day is better than the next. Our creeks and rivers are overflowing with a diversity of wildlife. Dolphins play and feed on the shoreline all day long, as well as an abundant amount of birds and other creatures.
Can we bring our dog(s)?
We allow you to bring your dog on rentals as long as they are wearing a life vest. Unfortunately, we do not allow dogs on guided tours.
What is your cancellation policy?
- If you cancel a guided excursion over 24 hours in advance, you will receive a complete refund.
- If you cancel a guided excursion within 24 hours of departure, you will be charged a 40% cancellation fee or a 15% reschedule fee. (These fees are charged because our guided excursions only a set amount of spots availble so that each customer gets the best experience possible. When you cancel last minute this prevents others from being able to book)
- For large groups (8+ people), corporate groups, and school groups we have a 48 hour cancellation policy. If cancelled after 48 hours you will be subject to a 40% cancellation fee or a 15% rescheduling fee.
- For rentals, if you cancel within 2 hours of your rental, you will be charged a 15% cancellation fee.
- If we have to cancel a tour or rental because of inclement weather we will either offer you the chance to reschedule for no fee or give you a full refund
Before Your Visit With Castaway
What do we wear?
Please wear closed toe shoes, or atleast shoes that will stay on your feet and are okay if they get wet. (you can take them off if you would like once you get in your boat) We also have water shoes available for purchase in our office. Synthetic clothing is preferable since it dries faster
What is provided with rentals?
The proper paddles that are needed with each boat/board, Coast Guard approved PFD’s (lifejackets) with attached whistle, a map of the local waterways, a waterproof bag that can be strapped onto your boat or board for personal belongings, preliminary safety talk, and all necessary information about the weather and tides.
What do we bring?
Please bring sunscreen, bug repellent (mosquitos and gnats are Charleston locals too), sun glasses, a snack or lunch if on a long adventure, drinking water, and proper attire
If you are renting, we ask that at least one person in your party as a cellphone in case of emergencies – they can be stored in the waterproof bags that we provide
What is provided with guided excursions?
The same as included in rentals, but you have your own personal and experienced guide that will show you places that you might not be able to find on your own, teach you proper paddle techniques, and provide information about the local wildlife and history.